An 1830 ‘s historian’s description of the English garden in Mount Edgecumbe.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

 The English Garden is more simply arranged than either of the others. It is of considerable extent and laid out in beds of shrubs and flowers, traversed by gravel walks, which are so managed as to conceal the real limits of the enclosure.

   It contains many beautiful and majestic trees, among which are several fine magnolias, cedars of Lebanus and Virginia, and a few large cork-trees. This delightful retreat is decorated with a square Doric paviliou, containing a sitting room, and a bath, supplied with hot and cold water from the mouths of two bronze dolphins.

A bench in the garden is inscribed with the lines from Cowper.

The path which leads from the English Garden to the Blockhouse descends into a deep excavation, overshadowed by trees, and containing a number of antique funeral urns and sarcophagi: among the heap of architectural fragments ids a fine capital of the Corinthian order, brought from the reigns of Alexandria. A short distance from this spot, and close to the beach of Barnpool, is the Blockhouse which, with the little fort on the opposite promontory of Devil’s Point, was built in the reign of Queen Elizabeth for the defence of the harbour.

English_garden

guest house in devon

Comments are closed.